Monday 21 February 2011

Stop. Right Now. Thank You Very Much.

Hey hey!

So this one's a bit less serious, am not feeling a big rant about personality defects or crap like that, due to the fact that (and I'm not afraid to say it) I am currently singing VERY loud to Aerosmith.  Steven Tyler, you legend.  So this gets me thinking, how AMAZING was the 90's?!  This is random I know, but seriously, can you imagine not having Alanis Morissette telling us that these things she claims are ironic are just bloody unfortunate?  Or wishing that every time Buzz Lightyear jumped off the bannisters to the smooooth voice of R Kelly that he acutally would fly?!



Music:     Ok, so there are the ones that I grew up with in my little pop princess ways - The Spice Girls giving us girl power whilst managing to look oh so very masculine in god-knows-what-they-were-thinking outfits, Britney Spears for just being the coolest teenager we all 'knew' and Christina for her HEEEEEYYYYAYAYAYAAY thing that she could do with her voice.  But then there was some brilliant non-pop stuff - we had Green Day breaking through with Basket Case and Good Riddance (a song that the opening few bars just make me smile as I know what's coming), Blink 182 for pop-punking us out and us fudding loving it, The Offspring for still not getting a job and being utterly fly (for being white guys), and the Prodigy who kept Smacking their Bitches up and causing outrage.


Films:     well the obvious one for many is Titanic (which I can honestly say I have never seen the whole way through) and the other is Forest Gump (which I am ashamed to say I have never seen either - so if anyone wants to lend it to me to fulfill my film education then I'd be grateful =P)  For me, as a complete Disney baby, there was Aladdin, The Lion King (and don't lie to me, I know you've tried to sing the opening lines from Circle of Life), Toy Story 1 and 2, Beauty and the Beast, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Pocahontas and Tarzan etc.  And if you were never given Disney as a baby I do apologise, but as a kid who could have recited the script of Beauty and the Beast to you on demand, that was my era!  But there were some other fab ones too - Pretty Woman (one of my mum's absolute faves), Jurrasic Park (scared me to death but I loved it), Mrs Doubtfire (possibly my absolute favourite film), the Bonds (Pierce Brosnan will always be my Bond!) Goldeneye, Tomorrow Never Dies and The World is Not Enough, Four Weddings and a Funeral, Schindler's List, American Beauty, Space Jam (come on and do the slam, and welcome to the jam... and how amazed I was at how they got Bugs and Michael in the same place), Notting Hill,  Se7en, Babe, more Star Wars, Apollo 13, Shakespeare in Love, the list goes on!



Television:     Sex and the City, Friends, ER, Family Guy and many others all premiered in the 90's, and we can tell they are still loved by all!  Kid-wise we've got The Rugrats,, Goosebumps (anyone else terrified of this?!) Hey Arnold, The Powerpuff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Blue Peter, the Simpsons, The Wild Thornberrys, Pokemon, and many more!

So if there's anything I've missed (which there definitely will be!)  then let me know what you think!  Oh, and a closing statement.  Kids, WE HAD HEELIES FIRST.  Nuff said.

x

1 comment:

  1. Love Love :) This most definately took me back to the 90's! And hell yeah we had Heelies first!!! Only ours were better cos they had 2 sets of wheels ;)

    Keep posting Miss Mason :D

    Love from your Plum xxx

    ReplyDelete