Wednesday 29 February 2012

Talkin' Bout my Education.

Good morning!

I have just read an article on the Independent through Facebook that a few of you may have seen before, entitled 'Why I wish I'd dropped out of university'. For those of you who haven't read it, take a butchers: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/why-i-wish-id-dropped-out-of-university-634053.html

After reading this, I actually got a bit riled up. Like this journalist, I also study English Lit, and have minimal hours (8 a week). However, what this article fails to say is the amount of work that goes with an English degree. I am currently reading 4 novels a week, and have 4 essay deadlines and 4 presentations in the next few weeks. Granted, this probably isn't considered a lot when going out into the world of work, but it is going to count towards a degree which will help me with the career I choose. So small hours, but was he actually doing the reading needed?!

Furthermore, I also work 3 days a week as a music teacher. Having a job does make reading time difficult, but I wouldn't be without it. We are paying a lot of money for a university education, but I'm doing something about having to pay for it when the big scary student finance bill comes in. More importantly, my job keeps me sane. There is only so much you can take in about Salman Rushdie in one go (trust me) so do something else that you enjoy! Join a society, go out with friends, join a gym! Ok, so the gym isn't the best one, but at least it would give you something to do!

If I was only doing 8 hours a week and diddly squat else, I could see where this guy was coming from. But there are so many opportunities as a student that you won't get at any other time in your life, enjoy it whilst you can! Being a student doesn't have to be all about going out and having too much vino collapso (as I have discovered through a recent allergy to wine *sob*), but I'm still a social bunny, just with coffee instead!

Let me know what you think about the article, and to all you students out there, enjoy it in your own way. I may sound like a bore with my abnormal student lifestyle, but I'm loving it.

And I'm serious about Salman Rushdie. :). X.

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more with this. It's all the extra shit that really makes the degree worthwhile (even if it's just coffee with a good friend i.e. you!). I love English at Surrey because the books are (on the whole, apart from fucking Rushdie) interesting and there is so much extra shit to get involved with!xx

    ReplyDelete