Thursday 12 January 2012

He doesn't look a thing like Jesus. But, he talks like a gentleman-like you imagined , when you were young.

Oh heyyy...

I felt I should share a horrible, horrible feeling I had this evening, as I feel my experience may benefit others.

I had a sudden, terrifying realisation.

I am, in fact, growing up.

This realisation has been established through a list of facts I have established. I have a job, I pay rent, I have a car, people now ask me 'and what do you do?'(which generally ends in a conversation something like this - Me: 'I'm a student' Seemingly-Interested-But-Just-Being-Polite Person: 'Oh, right...' *takes a step back*), I drive to parties and now have to say 'not for me thanks, I'm driving,' and I have started getting soap and moisturiser for Christmas.

Although this may seem like stating the bleedin' obvious, it is actually quite scary that I no longer get homework or write a Christmas list. This getting older business is a bit of a realisation, and although I haven't started using anti-wrinkle cream, I have realised life now comes with responsibilities. But, this mustn't be seen as a bad thing. If someone gave me a Barbie for Christmas I would not be happy, but the keys to a nice car/flat? Not massively practical to a 6 year old, but thank you very much at 19! And the best bit? No one is going through it alone! After having a chat the the other day with a friend about how we can't go out the night before work as we have to be in tip-top condition for the next day (I'm a music teacher, she's a Hollister babe-slightly different reasons for looking ok for work the next day. She has to look like a bombshell, I have to make sure children don't eat paper), we realised that without our jobs, we would not appreciate the value of money, be better with timekeeping, or realised how wonderful Saturday mornings off are, not having to get up at the crack of sparrows.

So, a word of advice to you lovely people out there. Next time you have to get up and go to work/go to the library/ pay a bill/ unwrap that pot of M & S moisturiser you really don't need and makes you steel like an old ladies boudoir, just be thankful we are no longer learning spellings/trying to tie shoelaces/ flipping through the Argos book to find useless crap to put on your Christmas list.

And when I need to hit the anti-wrinkle cream, please someone just tell me. Ta. :). X.

1 comment:

  1. Amen.. I'm So scared of this whole growing up thing too! I mean I work at a theme park for gods sake! I'm Clinging to the last few strands of being a child I have left! Nicely Written out tho Emma its been far too long since we last spoke or saw each other.. LETS Sort this out now we are grown ups!

    James F
    x

    ReplyDelete