Thursday 13 October 2011

My Lovely Lady Lumps.

4 months since my last blog?  That really is terrible!  I have been a very busy bee, but really have no excuse!

Whilst having a clear out of my bedroom at home (my mother will argue it was not a clear out, more of a re-arranging) I found a presentation board I did for my A-level art, with a picture on it like this:

Yes, my friends, this is a giant pair of 6ft knockers.  Granted they look like they're falling apart (to quote my art teacher 'you can't really paint, or draw, but your ideas are good!'  Slap. In. The. Face.), but they are, without a doubt, boobs.  And, I know you can't tell this from looking at them, but they are squishy (anyone in my A level art can vouch for this, having all had a grope).  The secret concealed within them, however, is a small lump, which can only be felt by having a good old feel.  The inspiration behind these wonders was a charity called CoppaFeel!, which promotes young women aged 18-30 to check their boobs regularly for any abnormalities.

When she was 22, Kris Hallenga was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.  There is no stage 5.  But instead of resigning herself to be beaten by the disease, she set up CoppaFeel!, had a mastectomy and won a Pride of Britain Award for her inspirational work.  I'll say it again.  SHE WAS 22.  That's only 3 years older than I am.  But she fought, and set up this amazing charity that supports young women, and contiunues to grow.

Almost 50,000 people are diagnosed with breast cancer each year in the UK. That’s one person every 10 minutes.  I'm fairly sure everyone knows someone who has either been affected or knows a family member/friend of someone that has been affected by this disease, myself included.  1 in 8 women will be affected by breast cancer, but the sooner it's diagnosed, the sooner it can be treated.

If, like me, you were shocked by this statistic, then there is something you can do.  Keep checking your boobs (men, this is where you may be more than happy to step in), and check out the website:
http://coppafeel.org/
This isn't just a charity promotion, and I don't want to freak anybody out.  If checking your boobs becomes part of a regular routine, you could help yourself in so many ways.  Having known people affected by this horrible disease, the more we can do about it starting from a young age, the better.

Oh, and one more thing - the next time someone tells you that you're not very good at something, think about my giant boobs.  I got an A.  Yah.  Boo.  And Sucks to them.  ;). x.

No comments:

Post a Comment